Loading Events

25 Tor 1st XV Vs Nailsea & Backwell 18

24th September 2016 @ 3:00 pm

Another strong performance - another win

Tor are starting to get into top gear this season with another standout, all-round team performance.

They were forced to make 6 changes from last weeks starting line up with Aaron Marshfield standing in as skipper for the injured Austwick. This didn’t affect their high level of play though and they showed good team work backed up by composed aggression and a solid defence. Tor’s lighter forwards struggled in the set piece but their fitness and superior skill was telling as the match went on. The half back pair of Mark Richardson and Dan Ferriday kept the tempo high and Tor on the front foot. Tom Harding, coming in to play out of position at inside centre, added another dimension at the break down and in defence.

Nailsea won the toss and chose to play up the slope. They applied all the early pressure, battering the Tor line but the defence held firm and Tor changed the play to score first. A Ferriday clearance was well chased by kick Matt Coley and Jack Burge and their pressure resulted in a penalty in the Nailsea 22 that was easily slotted by Ferriday on 11 mins.

Tor made the cardinal sin of giving away a penalty immediately from the restart and Nailsea drew level 1 min later after Tor were judged to have been holding on in the tackle. With the ref hot at the break down all afternoon Ferriday added 3 more points from another penalty on 16 mins to make the score 3-6.

Tor started to take control in the 2nd quarter. Des Rowe picked up from a scrum on his own 10 metre line, delivering the ball smartly to Coley who made the room for Jordan Hunt to run in from 50 metres beating 3 defenders on his way to the line. Ferriday was on target from in front of the post’s on 28 mins, 13-3.

Suddenly all the pressure was coming from Tor. A turnover ball from a lineout on the home side’s 22 was quickly turned into an opportunity as Ferriday shipped the ball to a flat-out Burge who managed to drive and wriggle over in the corner for un converted try on 36 mins. Tor kept the pressure up until the half-time whistle but couldn’t convert their opportunities.

Playing down the slope the home side again had the early pressure adding to their score on 45 mins from the boot to take the score to 6-18.

Tor worked hard up the slope and were rewarded by a try scored through fantastic pace and handling. Matt Hastie took a quick tap penalty and popped to Alex Gooby to send him charging from halfway to the  opposition 22. Toby Payne (on as as sub for Harding) drew the defence and delivered a nice inside pass to Dan Berkeley who flew over the white wash. The two added points from the boot of Ferriday gave Tor healthy 6-25 lead on the hour.  

Tor couldn’t quite finish the game off and after pressure on their own try line Payne was shown a yellow on 62 mins. The home side made the extra man count with a converted try on 66mins and a unconverted try on 70 mins 18 – 25.  

Tor defended hard for the remainder, showing real character to battle their way back up the hill and play the rest of the game in Nailsea half. Once back to full strength made most of the running in the last mins of the match and were unlucky not to score again. A very satisfying display was completed with Rowe kicking the ball to touch for the final whistle.

Tor Scorers


  • Jordan Hunt
  • Jack Burge
  • Dan Berkeley


  • Dan Ferriday (2)


  • Dan Ferriday (2)

Man of the Match

Matt Hastie